Monday, January 11, 2010

Open your mouth and I will fill it.

Open your mouth and I will fill it!! -- So here goes!

Recently upon an invitation of one of the ladies at church, I attended the week day Bible study at my church. I knew they were beginning in the book of Psalms. One would read the Psalm and then it was open for comments.

On Sunday I asked the Pastor permission to say something about the Tuesday Bible study. He said of course.

I told the people that this study was an opportunity to see what the Bible has to say on a lot of subjects. At present they are studying the Psalms that all point to Jesus.
I commented that the first Psalm says; Blessed is the man that walks not in the counsel of the ungodly. My comment was that every day we are bombarded with counsel from the ungodly. Such as the TV, the movies, the news, the Professors in the colleges that are molding our teachers on how to influence the minds of our children. The verse continues to say but his delight is in the law of the Lord. We must study the Bible and see what his law tells us to think and do. I continued that when we got to Psalms 9 it says: O Lord, O Lord twice. One of the ladies had a good question as to why was it repeated more than once. I said it was the grammar tense. The first O Lord referred to God and the next one was deeper. It referred to his majesty, his holiness his kingship. Then I sang the first line of O Lord O Lord how majestic is your name in all the earth. David was a singer and he repeated phrases more than once and the meaning might change in the original language.

Then I said, I was reminded of what Jesus said to Peter. He asked Peter a question 3 times, “Do you love me?” Again the tense and all the meaning is lost in the English translation. Each time the meaning of the word Love was deeper and more profound. The first question Do you Love me; was like when you love ice cream and cake or love fried chicken. The next Do you Love me was deeper; like when you love a dear friend or your family that you can hold close to your heart. The third Do you Love me was deeper yet. It meant commitment. Can you commit to my will for your life. Can you follow me and even lay down your life for me. Can you trust me when times are troubled? So, when you attend the Bible Study you may learn more than is right there. The Holy Spirit will teach you truth as you let him.
I sat down. When the music director played for the offering he played the song Majesty.
When church was over, several ladies came up to me and told me how touched they were by my words.

When I got home that Sunday afternoon, I told Bob what I had said and done. He said, Hazel you had better watch it or they will kick you out of their church. I laughed and said; only God knows.

That week I received a phone call from another lady who said she agreed with what I had said. Then she told me that in the Sunday night service (which is sort of a discussion) and very unstructured – they talked a lot about Jesus and his questions to Peter.

Thank you for allowing me to make a joyful noise today.

No comments: