Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Bear In The Woods

A big piece of twine stretched from my bed all the way to the pull chain in the light on my wall. First, I would look under my bed to make sure there wasn’t a big hand going to grab my leg. Next, with a quick hop into bed, I would pull the covers over my head, and yank the twine to switch off the light! I’d lay there with my heart pounding wildly for a few moments!

It was silly, but as a teenager, I had a vivid imagination and this was my reassuring process to help secure a good night’s sleep.

Where did all that fear come from? Was there something that happened in my past that caused these fears? Could I blame one of my parents for this dread?

There was a time when I was very young; it was a dark night and we were traveling in Dad’s old car, headed for home. The country road was lined with orchards on either side and there were no lights other than the headlights of our car. Also, there were no gas stations for a pit stop.

“Mommy I have to pee,” I whispered to her. Mother asked my dad to stop the car and let me out. Now I was used to a potty chair or our outhouse, but my Dad told me to go over to the ditch and do my business. I was extremely frightened just to be in that forsaken place and was not at all certain that I really wanted to do this.

Naturally, I was taking too long and Dad was impatient to get home. He called out, “You better hurry because there might be bears out there behind those trees!”

Bears in the woods! “Oh dear God, please don’t let them get me,” I yelled as I sprinted for the car, “I can hold it until I get home,” and that was that!

Many of us experience fear in various forms. Usually it is fear of the unknown. Putting my trust in Jesus was my solution. It could be your answer too. He is as close as a whisper.” I call upon Him anytime I am in trouble and so can you!

Yes - - I suppose I might be able to attribute some of the blame to my Dad for, in a way, he unknowingly planted the seed. However we truly can’t blame parents or people for our terror. The source of all fear is from Satan who is the deceiver and destroyer. He is the one who desires to rob you of your peace.

Since those childhood days, I have filled my heart with scripture verses that I repeat when I feel afraid. The Bible instructs us many times: Do not be afraid and do not worry! Here are a few of my favorites:

2Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

1Peter 5:7 Casting all your care (fears and worry) upon him; for he cares for you.

1John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear: because fear hath torment.

Matthew 10:31 Fear not therefore, you are of more value than many sparrows.

You might enjoy these books:
Overcoming Fear, Worry, and Anxiety: Becoming A Woman of Faith and Confidence by Elyse Fitzpatrick

Peace Like a River by Leif Enger

No comments: