Wednesday, March 17, 2010

God’s Measure is Larger

“Half of your income is mine, and if you refuse to tithe on the whole, then I will at least tithe on my half,” was the soft response from my Mother to Dad. You see they were having a bit of a disagreement.

Dad worked long hours for the Railroad as a switchman, but Mother worked just as long and hard taking care of her family. The old saying “Men work from Sun to Sun, but a women’s work is never done,” certainly applied to my mother. She cleaned, cooked, baked, sewed, mended, did the laundry, ironed, tended the chickens and rabbits, and labored long in our vegetable garden. Although it seems impossible, personal prayer and time for family worship with her children marked special time set aside by my mother.

Complaining was not a part of her nature and I can only remember one time when I saw her in bed during the day. A case of the flu had overtaken her but when she noticed me checking on her, she immediately got up and fixed dinner.

Our house was a haven for others when needed. My uncle and his family moved to our city. Though I never thought much about it but because they stayed with us for several weeks, I am astonished at how well my mother handled all the extra activity. I know some people would be a mess in less time.

Time ran by quickly and soon they were able to purchase a nice house in a very good neighborhood. When they finally moved, my mother called my dad’s attention to the fact that my uncle was extremely blessed, attributing it to their conviction to tithe faithfully. It must have hit my dad like a light! Finally! I guess he wanted that blessing too. From that day on my Dad agreed to allow mother to tithe from their total income.

Soon, our hens began to lay more eggs, so Mother sold some to the neighbors. Our garden produced abundantly, and our old car kept on running without a hitch. Mother had always been careful with the finances, but now she discovered they could open a savings account.

Was it all because she had begun to tithe on the whole? Only God knows for sure, but if you ask me, I believe she was being blessed because she gave with a willing heart and a generous spirit.

Mother taught her three children to tithe. I can truly say that it pays to give. My feeling is that we cannot afford not to give. The blessings returned to us flow in many directions. God always gives back and His measure is larger than the one we first use.

Luke 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

No comments: