Friday, March 26, 2010

Ouch - - I Hurt

“Cut me open - - - right here!!” I was pointing to my stomach where the pain seemed to be coming from all directions at once.

Earlier that morning, I had crawled from the bathroom to the hallway.

“Take me to the Hospital quick” I yelled for all to hear.

Fortunately, my husband had not left for work yet, and he quickly rushed to see what was going on. He and my daughter had to practically carry me to the car, and off we went.

Hospitals were something I wanted nothing to do with. As a child, I remember one lady in our church that had experienced surgery after surgery. Putting two and two together, my young mind concluded that once they cut you open, it would be a never-ending battle back to health.

Coincidentally, one of the best surgeons happened to be on duty that morning. He diagnosed a burst appendix, and surgery was eminent.

Between intensive care and an isolation room, I spent 10 days in the hospital.

During this entire experience, from beginning to end, I cannot remember any feelings of fear, but that of a quiet, calming peace. Since I have learned to trust Jesus, I found that it was easy to place my trust in the doctors, the nurses, and the hospital as well.

Trust is the opposite of fear. The unknown may cause us apprehension, but with the Lord, we do not need to panic. Instead, we can be confident that He is with us in an adverse situation or one where or other factors are beyond our control.

I am reminded of the Scripture verse found in His Word that tells us,

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

The chorus of the song “Through it all,” by Andre Crouch, sums it up like this:

Through it all, through it all
I’ve learned to trust in Jesus,
I’ve learned to trust in God,

Through it all, through it all
I’ve learned to depend on His Word.

No comments: