Monday, June 21, 2010

Defend Yourself

While house hunting, my aunt and uncle, along with their two children moved in with us for a few weeks. I remember my girl cousin was full of energy accompanied by a mean streak! She would run, take a flying leap and jump on my brother’s back with her legs locked around his waist. Then, with fists flailing, she pounded on his back until he would cry for help.

Our aunt did not reprimand or punish her. In fact, my aunt thought it was funny! Because my brother had been taught not to hit girls, he was defenseless against her! Finally, in desperation, I took him aside and reasoned with him. We agreed that, in this case, he had a perfect right to defend himself.

The next time she pulled this stunt, my brother unexpectedly sat down, rolled over backwards, flipped upright, and held her down until she cried for help. She never tried that again, at least not in our household.

Do you ever feel like life is jumping on YOUR back and giving you a good thrashing?

Let me tell you that you have a right to defend yourself.

The Bible tells us in the book of James, (first step) to draw near to God and He will draw near to us.

The second step is to resist the devil (and his problems that seem to throw themselves at you) and he will flee from you.

Drawing near to God is a preventative measure! You can actually avoid the thrashing that will roll off your back as you resist.

Then, it may just be time to stand still and allow God to fight for you. Let Him sending the devil running!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rVpW9A4RUo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is Tinagirl
I just love your blog site. I have played games with you on Pogo. I have a blog also, but don't keep it up to date. It is nice that God lets us meet people who inspire us. God is good.