Sunday, September 26, 2010

Looking for an Income??

My youngest daughter was speaking to me, “Mom, why don’t you go down to the PIC office and see if they can help you find a job.”

It was true that we were dipping into our savings to live on, and things were not looking good. My husband was no longer able to work, and he had applied for early social security, but that did not go far either.

“Yes, I will do that, it can’t hurt and it should be fun,” I told my daughter.

The class was designed to help the students gain strength in writing a resume and to understand how to do a good interview. We learned the hard questions we might be asked and were given tips on how to answer them.

Filling out a resume properly was important. We visited the local college where we received suggestions, and were told that they would assist us to print up a nice looking resume when we were ready.

Our instructor at the job search class, asked us to grab our resume and fill out an application and take it down to the County. Many different types of jobs were available at the County, so I did as I was instructed and left my application at the County Personnel office.

My background was heavy into accounting and managing an office, so that looked well on my application.

Our instructor required us to look through the help wanted ads in the newspaper and make at least 3 inquiries. I applied at a lumber warehouse but knew I would not be happy there. The women did not smile or seem to enjoy their job.

Another place I did an interview was at a local insurance office. The gentleman informed me that the pay was minimum wage, and according to my resume, I was over qualified.

All this was good experience.

I can remember one of our Pastors teaching on finding a job. He stated that you must view a job search as if you were showing up for work. Pack a sack lunch, and early in the morning, go door to door at your local business establishments and request an application for work.

Seeking a job is serious business and our Pastor did not believe in hand outs to those who sat at home, and hoped that the Lord would drop a job out of the sky on them.

If you are in need of an income, naturally you should pray. But understand that God expects us to put effort and feet to our prayers.

May I offer some tips: Get your resume updated and begin your search.

Keep a smile on your face, and always be willing to do the work, the way the boss wants it done.

Accept each task with energy and meet every dead line.

May I suggest a word of caution; no preaching on the job. Let Jesus shine through your life and example, and they will know him by your love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with valuable information to work on. You have done an impressive job and our whole community will be grateful to you.
Also see my site :: www.fastpaydayloanadvance.co.uk

Anonymous said...

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over
again. Regardless, just wanted to say great blog!

Review my page - paydayloans