Monday, October 25, 2010

Change is Good

Before we were married, my husband always took his dress shirts to the Chinese laundry where they were washed starched, ironed and tied nicely with a blue paper ribbon.

I told my new husband, I will wash and iron your shirts and we can save the money!

Setting up my new ironing board and getting the iron good and ready, I proceeded to iron his clean shirt. My new iron did not have a heat control like the current models do, so the first thing I did was to scorch his shirt really good.

Of course it was an accident, but my husband did not see it that way. He hastily grabbed his shirt, and told me in no uncertain terms, that the Chinese laundry was going to be an important part in our budget.

And so, it was for many years, his shirts went each week to the Chinese laundry.

That was until they invented wash and wear clothing and dryers that had wash and wear cycles. I hated to iron anyway, and by now I have even forgotten how ironing must be done.

In this case, “Change was good.”

Is there anything that you have ever said, “I must include this in my budget?” Maybe it is a habit or something that you enjoy for special treats? I will not go into the matter of addictions but they could be included here in someone’s budget.

Perhaps “A Change might be good.”

Swinging to the Spiritual budget, there are things that are important to include in your financial plan. First and foremost it is your giving to the Lord’s Work. Add to that contribution’s to missionaries, or your favorite organization. Can you afford not to give?

Hebrews 7:2 Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace.

Then there are other items to include in your spiritual budget such as regular Bible reading and study, and a few minutes in prayer each day. Paul said he prayed without ceasing, and I believe he walked and talked with God all day as he went about his other tasks.

Good deeds and kindness to others should always be a part of your planning.  Volunteer workers are needed at your church, your hospital, and your school.

If you are not sure what to include in your “spiritual budget” ask the Lord to help you discover what will best fit into your design for serving Him.

I will add here, that some things in your “budget” are not for ever, and others are. If God is telling you to back off from your volunteer work and find another method to serve him, be open to making a change.

As they say, “Change is good.”

No comments: