Thursday, February 24, 2011

Mud Pies

In my early years, for one Christmas I received a small child’s set of bake ware. The collection included a cake pan, pie pan, cookie sheet and a bread pan. When my pie pan was new, my mother allowed me to use some left over pie dough and bake my own pie.

The most fun was in the summer when I could make a mess of mud with the garden hose, and fill my pans with imaginary mud pies and mud cakes. I would decorate the cake with sand and add to the topping some small pretty rocks. Next was to set my goods out in the sun to complete the baking process.

My thoughts go to the Garden of Eden when God made his own mud pie and formed man. God was pleased with His design, and to see if the man was done, he poked his finger in Adam’s tummy (thus the belly button) :-)  "Yes," God said, “This is a Good creation.”

Sadly we all know the story how Adam and Eve sinned, and were evicted from the Garden along with every other good creature that God had made.  Lest they eat of the Tree of Life and live forever in their sinful state, it became necessary for God to take harsh measures.

Because of Adam and Eve’s willful act against God’s commandments, mankind has had to toil and earn his keep by the sweat of his brow. Access to the tree of Life was no longer available.

However God Made a Way. There is one beautiful event that can occur within a person and that is because of the sacrifice of Jesus. We can be turned into a New Creation. (Not a new mud pie but close.)

We may still look the same outside, but the new handiwork of God is performed on the inside, and that is where our personal Eternal life begins. One day, those who are thus changed, will be able to experience continued eternal Life in Heaven with the Lord.

There we will sit down to feast at His table. There will probably be a variety of fruit, and I am not certain, but perhaps there will be some cake and pie.

This post has been entered in Ann Kroeker’s, Food on Fridays at http://annkroeker.com/
Do visit her site and gather up some delicious and nutritious recipes.

My recipe follows: for Easy and Simple Mud Pie.

MUD PIE  from COOKS.COM

1 pkg. Oreos, crushed
1/4 c. melted butter
1/2 gallon coffee ice cream, softened
Hot fudge sauce
12 oz. Cool Whip
In a 9x13 inch pan, mix Oreos and melted butter. Press to make crust. Freeze 30 minutes. Spread coffee ice cream over crust. Freeze 1 hour. Spread a thick layer of hot fudge sauce over ice cream. Freeze 1 hour. Spread Cool Whip over hot fudge sauce. Freeze 4 hours.   Before serving, let stand for 5 minutes.

Optional, use two store purchased ready chocolate pie crust. Other flavors or Ice cream can also be used.



1 comment:

Ann Kroeker said...

Next time I eat Mud Pie, I shall think of Adam, Eve, and you and me, made from the dust of the earth, the mud, prepared with joy by the Master Baker! :)

Thank you for mixing truth into your posts with such love. And for sharing them with us through Food on Fridays! :)