Thursday, March 10, 2011

Gypsy Story

Gypsies are known to be wanderers, singing at night and working during the day repairing and creating small products. Some practice fortune telling and others simply steal for a living.

I began to write this post about a true happening during the 1970’s, and I will end the post with a positive report on one Gypsy who was an outstanding evangelist for the Lord.

Our church was able to purchase the house behind our church giving us an access from the main street to the church parking lot. The house had been converted into two small apartments. One was occupied by a sweet elderly lady who attended our church. The board gave me the responsibility to keep the apartments rented and the tenants happy.

The Pastor had been living in the front apartment, but he decided he needed a larger place for his family. Finding a house that satisfied him, they began to pack and move out. I needed to find a renter, so I placed an ad in the local paper.

I received a phone call from someone who was interested in renting the apartment so I made an appointment to meet them there. When I arrived, the Pastor was on the sidewalk with a BIG smile on his face as he stood there looking proud of himself. He spoke, “I have just rented the apartment for you.”

I could see three dark men there on the sidewalk, and a women was standing on the front porch. Only a glance let me know these were Gypsies.

I respected my Pastor for his pastoral position, but now this was a different matter. I spoke up and said, “What have you done? Don’t you know these people are Gypsies?”

I continued, “Never mind, what is done is done, but I will take care of it.”

I fearlessly walked up the steps and faced the woman and boldly spoke. “We will rent this apartment to you because Pastor gave you his word, but I am going to inform you about something very important to you.”

Continuing I said, “I have blessed this apartment and prayed over it, and you may as well understand that if you try to practice any fortune telling or séances in this building you will loose any powers you have.” The woman stared at me with a quizzical look on her face, but I could tell she understood completely. Within a few weeks, they gave their notice to leave, and the apartment was for rent again. End of this story.

Evangelist, Rodney (Gypsy) Smith, 1860-1947, was born in a tent, raised on a Gypsy camp, never attended a school - not even for a day! - Yet he influenced the lives of millions of people for God through his powerful preaching.

The site below is the biography of Gypsy Smith. I found it extremely interesting.
http://www.truthfulwords.org/biography/smith.txt

No comments: