Thursday, May 26, 2011

CARROT CAKE


Being newly engaged to Robert, my intended was anxious for me to meet his Uncle Andrew, Aunt Virginia and their four children. He took me out to their ranch in the country for this informal occasion.

When Robert found it necessary to leave home in his teen years, he had spent several years at their ranch, helping with the farm and with the animals for his keep.

Virginia was an excellent hostess and she served us her favorite Carrot Cake, and I must declare here that it was the most delicious cake I had ever had the pleasure to devour!!

Of course I asked her for the recipe and she willingly shared it with me. It must be a vintage recipe, for I have never found another recipe to compare it to.

Here I share it with you. It is a keeper for certain !!

CARROT CAKE
Simmer for 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 12 hours
1 1/3 cups sugar 2 large carrots grated
1 1/3 cups water 1 tsp cinnamon
1 T butter 1 tsp nutmeg (optional)

After 12 hours mix together and add to the above.
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt
1 cup chopped nuts

Mix well. Bake in a tube pan, or in 2 oiled loaf pans at 275 degrees for 2 hours.

Cool and enjoy. We choose not to frost, but if desired you may frost your cake with . . .

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
1 lb. confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/4 lb. butter, softened
1 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
2 tsps. vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans

carrot cake... Pictures, Images and Photos
Photo courtesy of tawin at PhotoBucket

This post has been entered in Ann Kroeker’s, Food on Fridays at http://annkroeker.com/

Do visit her site and gather up some delicious and nutritious recipes.

3 comments:

carla said...

It looks wonderful! I'll use some of my new Swans Down cake flour and make one.

Ann Kroeker said...

These instructions, "Simmer for 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 12 hours," sound so vintage. Most people don't have the patience to plan ahead 12 hours to bake a cake! But it intrigues me, and wouldn't it be fun to have someone say about my dessert that it was the most delicious that they'd ever devoured? Thanks for sharing this via Food on Fridays, Hazel!

Anonymous said...

Hi Hazel,
You know I love Carrot Cake,its too sad that Im the only one who likes it at home.Whenever I like it,I will just imagine and have the thought of eating it when we dine out.Well,that doesn't happen of course...lol..I will grab your recipe and bake for my own consumption this time!By the way,your French Dressing is perfect...I am not eating rice so I take greens and fruits..it is such a lovely dressing..thank you so much.