Friday, May 6, 2011

MOON DELIGHTS


“Bring your family over for some coffee and cookies, was an invitation from my husband’s boss that was unusual, but his wife wanted to meet us and our young children.

While we chatted, she served us some unique and colorful cookies along with a cup of coffee.

I asked her how she got the cookies to crack and crinkle on the top, and she was happy to share her secret. Of course I asked her for the recipe and as she wrote it down she said, “I always called these cookies, ‘Missouri Cookies’ because the lady who gave me the recipe was from Missouri.”

Well, I knew my children would DELIGHT in helping make these cookies, so I decided to change the name to fit our family. Here I share with you my recipe for “Missouri Cookies” with their new name.

You can rename them again with your name in there to make them yours!

MOON DELIGHTS

Mix in large bowl until creamy:
1 cup shortening (or butter)
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
1 tsp almond flavor (or vanilla)

ADD 1 egg and blend well

In your sifter place these ingredients
2 cups flour
1 tsp soda
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp cream of tarter

Sift the above into the first bowl and blend well

Add 1 cup coconut and blend all together.
(if your family does not like coconut, substitute 1 cup quick oats)

Roll dough into small balls. In two custard cups fill one with water and the other some white sugar. Dip each ball into the water then into the sugar and place on cookie sheet.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees. To please your children, add food coloring to the water to give your cookies a delightful look!

This post has been entered in Ann Kroeker’s, Food on Fridays at http://annkroeker.com/
Please visit her site and gather up some delicious and nutritious recipes.

This recipe is very old, so I might call it a Vintage Recipe.  Linked up today with Joy at Joy of Deserts.
http://joyofdesserts.blogspot.com/

No comments: