Saturday, April 28, 2012

Are we Rich Now?


image courtesy photobucket.com

 “Are We rich or are we poor?” asked Billy’s daughter.  Billy Coffey is one of my favorite blog sites, among many - - and he recently wrote a post that I think you will enjoy - - CLICK HERE  to go there.

* * * * *

In the early 1970’s our children wondered the same thing; Were we now rich,? when my husband went into business for himself.

Jealousy in the heart of the boss’s son (and the boss’s wife), caused my husband to lose his secure job, but his boss told him that he would help him go into business for himself.

My husband was afraid to try this alone and wanted to bring in the son of his old boss as a partner. Instead I encouraged him not to do that as it would be a linking together with an unbeliever.  Instead I would help him and God would be our partner. My husband had peace about it and agreed.

Robert studied hard for the test, and it all was a process but God gave him wisdom, and he passed the contractors license test in a breeze.

We secured a loan and purchased a flat bed truck and placed ads in the paper. His old boss even made us a deal to have us help him with some of his subcontracting work for a percentage.

image courtesy photobucket.com
Now we were a company and that had prestige. Our children asked me if we were now rich? I had to sit them all down and explain that prior to this new event in our lives, their Dad had to depend on his boss for work, and now we had to depend on God to give us jobs so we could earn our daily bread. I urged them to be happy, but not proud in an "I'm better than you" attitude.

I think we worked harder than ever before especially that first year. The placing of ads in the paper, the giving of bids and follow up all took time.

God blessed us and we both worked at this new endeavor. I took phone calls, ran errands to secure permits, did the books along with taxes, and my husband did the hard part - - the actual job. No we weren’t rich, but not poor either, just hard working - - working class people.

I suppose in many ways - - we were rich too!

This post is Linked with Laura’s Faith Filled Friday 
Also linked with Stacy’s Heartprints Hallelujah Fridays

2 comments:

Floyd said...

I've been in construction my whole life and business for myself for 23 years. There is never a break. People always ask, "You stayin' busy"? My answer is always the same, "I'm always busy, either doing the work or lookin' for it." But God is the One who provides, all things come from His hand...
And I"m with you, being truly rich can't be measured by a number.

caryjo said...

"Rich" is such a various concept word... depending on who sees it. Our lives today require, according to the youth, etc., that the cell phones, computers, all be right up in the top range. In some of our former days, it was being able to pay rent, keep cars working, buy new shoes a couple times a year, and EAT!!! So much has changed and become very overwhelming very quickly. "Rich" to me? A loving husband and loving Heavenly Father. Not much else counts.