Monday, May 14, 2012

Teacher’s That Inspire

image courtesy photobucket.com

The lunch room was buzzing with chatter as I quickly scribbled out descriptive words with the help of my dictionary. My essay needed to be turned in at the next class so I hurried on.

My story described a tall skinny personage with silver gray hair piled on top of her head.  Her haunting eyes were staring, and her spiny thin arms crossed her chest. She stood waiting to snatch anyone who crossed her path that she did not approve of.

I laughed as I discovered more words to scare the pants off most readers.

The bell rang announcing that lunch was over and it was time to run to our next class. It was too late. I was having so much fun writing, that I had been carried away with mirth and now there was no time to change my essay.

There was nothing I could do except turn it in, if I wanted a grade at all, so reluctantly I handed it in with the others.

Class was almost over and we had probably 10 more minutes of time left.

My teacher moved to the front of the room, and announced that there was one essay that she needed to read aloud to the class. She almost giggled as she asked the class to guess who the person was in the anecdote.

Oh no!! She was reading my story, and my face turned crimson red. As she finished, she said, “This story is an example of creative writing, and I just had to read it to you all.”

Then she asked me to stay after class. Was I in trouble? No, she wanted to encourage me to keep writing.

I apologized for making fun of our Principal who stood in our hall between classes to keep order.

My teacher assured me that no apology was in order, and that the story did not name her, but only left it to the readers to discover who it was.

image courtesy photobucket
She encouraged me to continue writing as she emphasized, “I look forward to more stories from you like this one.”

That day I made a decision to keep my dictionary handy, and to also use a Thesaurus which often helps when I need a good word.

Words are powerful, and they can change lives for good or evil. Speeches often will sway the crowd, and lies are many times believed as truth.

It is good to listen with our heart, but to also be equipped with knowledge and wisdom to prevent us from becoming a part of the foolish multitude.

Those who write and speak are obligated to build up and not tear down their audience.  To encourage, challenge and comfort at times, and to always let truth prevail.

As you write or speak, at all times leave your readers or listeners, with a sense of joy that they were glad to come and sit at your feet.

* * * * * * * * *

This post has been linked with Joan Davis Sharing His Beauty
Also linked with Tell Me a True Story
http://letmetelluastory.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

Diane Ronzino said...

What a great story, once again, Hazel! And man, does it go along with my post today on my blog. Not my Tell Me A True Story, but today's post. Maybe you would consider donating?

Rhonda Schrock said...

What an encouraging word you received from that teacher. Words are so powerful. Thank you for reminding me of that again.

Saleslady371 said...

What I like here is the focus on words. They are truly a gift from God when used right! I can always count on you for some instruction; thank you! So glad you took your teacher's advice and keep writing.

Wendy @ E-1-A said...

QUOTE: "...Words are powerful, and they can change lives for good or evil. Speeches often will sway the crowd, and lies are many times believed as truth.

It is good to listen with our heart, but to also be equipped with knowledge and wisdom to prevent us from becoming a part of the foolish multitude.

Those who write and speak are obligated to build up and not tear down their audience. To encourage, challenge and comfort at times, and to always let truth prevail.

As you write or speak, at all times leave your readers or listeners, with a sense of joy that they were glad to come and sit at your feet."

AMEN

Floyd said...

Great point. We have an obligation before God to seek truth and share it if that's what He's called us to do. I'm honored by the people and time that come by to read and share. What a gift... kinda like this one of yours today.

Floyd said...

Great point. We are to share His truth with the gift of communication. It is an honor to share time and communication with others. Good one today, an over looked truth in and of itself.

Unknown said...

What a great inspiration and encouragement at such a young age. I discovered my gift much later in life and nursing it has been a slow process. Loved your thoughts.

Lisa Lewis Koster said...

What a lovely story and a great reminder for those who teach!