Thursday, June 21, 2012

Calcium Cookie Bars


image courtesy photobucket.com

When my children were young, our family was on a tight budget, and to save money, I would often use powdered milk when I baked.  It worked great for baking when the recipe called for milk.

There were times when I cut back the regular milk for drinking, with some mixed up powdered milk.

The children did not mind this blend on their cereal, but to drink a glass of the powdered milk mixed with regular milk that was a different story.

My husband could always tell the difference and he let me know about it.

Each week I would bake a different cookie recipe for everyone’s lunches, and I discovered a cookie recipe that would give added calcium into our diets.

I share it here with you.

Calcium Cookie Bars

2 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
3 T molasses
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla or maple flavor
Mix above ingredients into a large bowl.

Next - - Place into your flour sifter

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups powdered milk
Sift and add to other ingredients and mix well

Add 2 cups chopped walnuts, and blend.

Bake in an oblong pan for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Cool and cut into bars.

This post is linked with Ann Kroeker’s, Food on Fridays  
Do hop on over to her site and gather up some delicious and nutritious recipes.


2 comments:

Floyd said...

I remember the days of powered milk... Yuk! But that was the world back then... You know I often ponder if the hard times are actually the best to bring people and a family together. Simple things like your recipes are a warm reminder of those things...

joy said...

I wish we had milk when I was a child, but we only drink coffe made with burned rice and te made of cooked ginger. But anyway, nice to read post like yours about childhood. Thanks for sharing:)