Saturday, September 8, 2012

Let us Speak for God Repost

Defacing God's Temple
courtesy photobucket.com

One of my recent posts was titled, “I am not God.”  It went on to chat about not judging others and minding our own business and letting God be God.

As I went to Face Book to enter my notice of that new post, I become aware of an entry by the daughter of one of my adopted nieces.

She had posted a photo of a very large picture that was being tattooed on her back.  Several of her empty-headed friends had made comments, about how beautiful it was.

At one time, I had researched the origin of tattoos and did not like what I discovered.

Ancient tribes would tattoo their spirit god on their body, or their tribal markings, all devilish. The Polynesian people believe that a person's (mana,) their spiritual power or life force, is displayed through their tattoo.
 
I also knew the God forbid his children to “Mark or cut themselves.”

King James: Leviticus 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.


New American Standard Bible (©1995)
'You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD.


The anger of God riled up within me, it may not have been any of my business, but I simply could not help it.  I made a comment - - -

“I am so sorry that you felt the need to mutilate and disfigure God’s temple in this way.”

After placing my comment, I remembered my Blog post about not judging and minding my own business!

Then I made another decision.  Although I am not God, I can and should at times, speak out for Him.

In this case it was too late, because the sweet young girl had already marred and defaced her body.

Are these children crying for acceptance among their silly peers?  Surely they understand that these marks placed upon them are of a permanent nature and are not erasable. 

Why did someone not teach them to heed the voice of the Holy Spirit and not to lower themselves to fit in with the worldly crowd?

Mothers’ take heart; you are not to blame for the scatter brained antics of your children who have reached the age of “maturity.”  We can only hope and pray that their stupidity and rebellion will end here.


This post is Linked with Charlotte’s Spiritual Sundays
Also Linked with Laura’s Faith Filled Friday


 

6 comments:

Linda said...

I understand your feelings - sometimes my need to speak my mind is overwhelming...and not always uplifting or edifying to others. The sad thing is that the tattoos are there for life...

Anonymous said...

I had never read that scripture Hazel....thank you!
Love, Vicki K

Rosilind Jukic said...

I thought I was the only person left on earth who thought like this. It is refreshing to read this post! I grow more and more concerned about the number of Christians who are getting tattoos. I was glad to see that you researched the history behind them, because that is something either many fail to do, or see no significance in doing. What is sad is that many Christians - who do not want to accept the power of the spiritual realm and its influence on our lives for either good or evil - are unknowingly participating in evil and demonic practices. This is one of them.

Thank you so much for this post. Yes - we must speak out for God! There is a world of difference between judging and discerning. And you brought that out very clearly.

Floyd said...

I for one have done some seriously stupid things in my life, but that one just didn't make sense. My heart breaks for the ones who feel the need to look like the world. I have nieces and nephews who have done the same thing. they look like fools... In the end that's what it is... I'm with you, I speak up and voice my opinion in this regard, not in a mean or degrading way, but they need to hear God's truth.

Floyd said...

I don't know if my last one went through? I'm with you, the young ones need to hear truth, not in a degrading or mean way, but in God's truth. Our world is going to hell in a handcart and we're not saying enough, in some cases... This is one of them.

Gail @ http://biblelovenotes.com said...

I am often saddened when I see young people with tattoos that they will one day regret.

But my understanding is that many of the Old Testament laws (those not restated in the New Testament) were specific to the time they were given. For example, the dietary laws, the laws of sacrifices and many other laws.

And there are even some New Testament laws given for a specific time/group. Few Christian women believe 1 Corinthians 11 requires them to wear a head covering and long hair.

And as for the meaning of tattoos in certain cultures: there are also cultures that believe photographs are spiritual images with power, but that is no reason for us to quit taking photos.

I don't have a tattoo, nor does anyone in my immediate family, so I'm not trying to justify tattoos. And I find evil tattoos very offensive and feel sorry for people who have them.

But I'm not sure we can judge tattoos by Leviticus 19:28. And I fear such a view would alienate us from a huge portion of our population who need the Gospel.

I'm not at all doubting your heart or your concerns, but just wanting to add another perspective.
Thanks for your thought-provoking thoughts on this subject.
God bless you, Gail