Friday, January 11, 2013

Granola Home Made

Home Made Granola
courtesy photobucket.com

Winter time was when my mother prepared for us kids a hot cereal for our breakfast. 

Usually it was Quick Quaker Oats with some raisins thrown in.  On a couple days in the week, it would be Cream of Wheat, or Wheatena served with a bit of sugar and milk generously poured over our bowl of steaming porridge.

In the summer we were allowed cold cereal, those without the added sugar, such as Kix, Cheerios, Rice Checks and Corn Flakes.

Time passed, we grew up with our own families and Mother was now alone in her small mobile home.  She lived at the other end of town and we enjoyed having her close by. 

One summer day I dropped in for an early visit while she was preparing her breakfast.

“What is that?” I asked as I viewed her bowl of cereal.  She replied, “That is my homemade Granola, and it is very healthy for you.”

Now I like healthy, so I copied her recipe and will share it here with you.

Granola – Ruth Stanton
 
Mix:     3 cups Quick Oats 

            1/2 cup coconut  (Some times I substitute flax meal)
            1/2 cup chopped nuts
            1/2 cup wheat germ
            1/2 cup sesame seeds
            1/2 cup sunflower seeds
            Optional:  Add a handful of raisins.

 
Mix together:

            1/4 cup honey
            1/4 cup olive oil 

Stir into the first mixture and spread on a greased cookie sheet.

Bake 15 minutes at 325 degrees.  Store in the refrigerator.

Use as a breakfast cereal, or sprinkle on yogurt for a snack.

I like to add a serving of apple sauce, yogurt and 1/2 cup of the granola with no milk for an occasional breakfast.


This post is linked with Ann Kroeker’s  Food on Fridays   

Do visit her site and gather up some delicious and nutritious recipes.

 

 

2 comments:

Ann Kroeker said...

Hazel, my sister-in-law introduced homemade granola to my mother-in-law who makes it regularly for her family to enjoy in Belgium. It's healthy, delicious and very different for people over there. I'm so glad you shared your and your mother's recipe here! I could make my own and leave out the things that I am allergic to--a special blend just for me! Thanks for the inspiration (and story).

Floyd said...

I love granola. Your mom gave you some great habits... and good recipes.