Monday, February 18, 2013

Phone Calls at Night


 
Telephone courtesy photobucket.com

No one appreciates a telephone call in the middle of the night.  It usually is not a message you really want to receive.

It was late and my husband and I were asleep when the phone that sits next to me on my nightstand began to ring.

Trying not to awaken my tired husband, I picked the phone up on the first ring.

A soft male voice said, “Mom can you come get me?  I am drunk.”

Our son was of high school age, and my first thought was that he had quietly left the house and gotten himself into some kind of trouble.

I was wide awake by now, so I answered, “Certainly I will come get you, just tell me where you are.”

The voice on the other end hesitated, and must have suddenly realized that he had gotten the wrong number, because he politely hung up the telephone.

Relieved that it was not my son, but feeling truly sorry for an unknown teenager, if this was a legitimate need and not a prank call.

In those days, we did not have caller ID or reverse call back so I will never know the true circumstances behind that call.

When prayers go up to heaven from all over the world requesting help, comfort, direction, or perhaps sincere worship and praise, God is able to shuffle them all and identify each and every caller and carefully begin to answer each request.

He doesn’t need to ask “Where are you so I can come help you?”  He knows all about us even to the very number of hairs on our head.

God does not need caller ID on his telephone to heaven for he identifies you immediately.

Knowing that God takes a personal interest in us brings great security, comfort and peace.

Psalms 50:15  Call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver you, and you will glorify me.

 
This post is linked with Jennifer Dukes Lee at: Tell His Story 
 Also shared with Laura at: The Wellspring

Also shared with Hazel at: Tell Me a Story

 

5 comments:

Diane Ronzino said...

I love this, Hazel! GREAT message!

Floyd said...

This one really hit me. God hears from scared and grieving hearts all over the world. A late phone call or prayer doesn't alarm Him... He knows... That verse is speaking to my heart today, Hazel. "Call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will glorify Me." A word from God, thanks. And thanks for being HIs messenger.

Laura said...

And I'm so glad to have Him on speed dial :). Having two teen age boys, this scenario is one of those scary thoughts to ponder. I'm glad your son was safe in bed and I hope the caller was able to make the correct call that next time.

caryjo said...

I'm glorifying Him today... as usual, but for a significant physical reason, of course. All I can DO is glorify Him; He's the only one who truly has the ability to be in my heart immediately and at all times. Others try and are kind and caring. HE has the strength and foreverness.

Thanks for that sharing/teaching phase.

Blessings.

Sylvia R said...

Great analogy, Hazel. God has just proved Himself to be this way for me, yet again. He both gets the calls and understands all the callers! Blessings to you.