Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Good Grief !!


This post was shared at Peter Pollock’s “One Word Carnival.”  The Word is GRIEF

Grief
courtesy photobucket.com
 
Tears flowed down my face as I received the telephone call from my mother, and I realized my father had passed away from his long illness.

Although I knew he was in heaven, it did not stop me from grasping the fact that I would not be able to visit and speak to him any longer, here on this earth.

My husband, Robert told me, “Hazel, those tears are because you are ‘feeling sorry for yourself,’ and they are not tears of grief.”  You must change your thinking,”  He continued with some other words of wisdom that caused me to consider what he had said. 

How often do we enjoy a good “pity party, and get pleasure from feeling sorry for our-self,” and we call it grief for what ever reason. 

Honestly I have seen some people weep and wail more over one of their animals who died then they did when one of their own family members passed on.

There is a time to weep, according to the Bible, and a time to rejoice.  Our grief time is sadness usually because we will miss the person here on earth.

God does not want us to STAY in the mode of grieving, for how long, I can’t say, but it should be temporary.  A short time to grieve is okay, but then there comes a time to wipe away the tears. 

There are moments to remember the person for who they were to us and the memories of happy times together.

Even if there were sad times, those can even yet be forgiven whether the person is with us or not.  Speaking out the words “I forgive you,” is healing.

If the person was Hell bound, then we should really grieve.  We can no longer help them, but we can do what we can to give and live the gospel to those who are still with us. 
 
The rich man in hell wanted someone to warn his brothers to repent and come to God, because he knew Hell was real.  His was true grief.
 
As we live here on earth, may we do our part to show others who a Christian is, by our example and by reaching out to others with kindness and encouraging words.

When it is our time to cross that river between earth and heaven, may our friends and loved ones, grieve for a few moments, and then rejoice with us that we are with Jesus.

Isaiah 53:3  He was despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

This post is shared at: Tell Me a Story

3 comments:

HisFireFly said...

a man acquainted with grief, and He dies to take ours...

Floyd said...

How true that is that we grieve often for ourselves instead of the lost. True peace and joy come from the grieving for things that our Father grieves over. Good things to think about and ponder, Hazel.

Unknown said...

I agree with Floyd....surely it is a natural feeling of sorrow to no longer have the experience of one we love, but yet there is a grief that goes beyond the natural course of healing...it is evil and consuming and holds captive...your husband is a wise man, I lost my son 17 years ago he was only 22, I'm thankful for the relationship I had with my loving Heavenly Father at the time of my son's death, it protected me from this all destroy life robbing spirit of grief. Sometimes I still cry b/c I miss Craig so much, but it is short lived b/c I remind myself that he is embraced by the most loving arms ever....he is before the one I desire to be before....It is a choice ... choose life or choose death ....Craig did not cease to be any longer, his earthly house rest in the grave for that resurrection morn! Enjoyed tremendously your post today