Friday, April 26, 2013

Apple Nut Bread (Repost)


Nut Bread Courtesy photobucket.com
 
The times were exciting! A very small church close to where we lived had called a new Pastor.
 
The new Pastor had graduated from the same Bible Training Center that we had attended, and their plans were for the church to grow and multiply.  We decided to come along side and help them.

The Pastor’s wife asked me if I could bake a loaf of nut bread for the next Sunday, to be shared during the fellowship time with the members.  My apple tree was producing!  Checking my file of recipes, I found a perfect quick bread that called for apples. 

The church grew and moved to a larger location downtown.  Baking this bread became a ministry for me!  New members were being added and the Pastor asked my husband to teach a morning class.  We were happy to serve!

Later on, when the Holy Spirit indicated that it was time for us to move on, other doors began to open.  About that time, I had applied for a job with the County’s accounting department, and was hired.

Since I was already in the habit of baking nut bread each week, I began to bring apple bread to work with me each Monday.  (This was to encourage the employees to show up for work on Monday.)

For ten years, each Monday, the bread was expected and enjoyed. The staff even dubbed the bread, “Hazel Bread.”  
 
The name was because the bread changed week to week into pumpkin, banana, apple, or zucchini bread and this made it easier to identify.

Not only was this an act of love, but it also was a ministry.  Many times throughout the duration of my employment, I was also able to share about “The Bread that is from Heaven.”  What joy!

There is nothing too small for God to use.  Whatever your hand finds to do – do it! 

The Bible tells us that Jesus is the bread that will satisfy our Spiritual Hunger. 

John 6:35  And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. - - -

Matthew 5:6  Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

 This post was shared at Ann Kroeker’s site: Food on Friday. Enter a recipe or any story that pertains to food.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I liked your post today, Hazel. "There is nothing to small for God to use." Thanks for visiting my blog.