Monday, March 31, 2014

Seventy times Seven

Jesus Forgives You
On a certain Sunday I visited the Assisted Living home where a friend was residing.
Each time I visited, the owner of the home would stop me, and ask if I have been to church.  Then I would proceed to tell him what the Pastor had preached on this day. 
I told him that the title for today's sermon was 70 times 7. 
Jesus gave this response to Peter’s question, “Should I forgive my brother seven times? Jesus said, NO not 7 but we are to forgive 70 times 7 or in other words continually.  
I elaborated that it was not simply to forgive 7 times and stop on number 8, but to forgive as we expect God to forgive us, with unlimited measure. 
I am reminded of the Lord’s Prayer that makes this very statement in Matthew 6:12  “And forgive us our sins, as we also have forgiven those who sin against us.”
The man to whom I spoke, remarked, Oh I need this so much.  I then told him, that it is good not to get into situations where we need to repent and require forgiveness. 
However the Pastor ended his sermon by reminding us that if we have received Jesus as our savior, then we have the assurance that the blood of Jesus continues to cleanse us from all sin.
Isn’t it wonderful that we can actually walk in God’s forgiveness? 

It certainly brings peace instead of condemnation.

1 comment:

Floyd said...

Amen to that, Hazel! Wonderful redemption through His perfect love!