Wednesday, July 16, 2014

New Tricks for Old Dogs


Old Hound Dog Still Running
 
Apple Cider Vinegar has been publicized for many purposes including marinating meat over night before cooking it, to unclogging drains, killing weeds and even beauty aids such as a hair rinse. 
 
A popular use is to drink a tablespoon full in a glass of water daily to help with joint pain.  My brother and also brother in law both claim this helps their arthritis pain and is a simple and inexpensive aid for their health.
 


I have been giving my dog Bragg ACV with the Mother.

From reading the labels I discovered that the Heinz quart size is the real apple cider vinegar and is the most reasonable in price.  Heinz also puts out a larger bottle, but it is flavored and not the real apple cider vinegar.

I said all that to say this:  Our old hound dog has been limping and for months we have been giving him a baby aspirin morning and night.  It did seem to help, but I wanted to try something else.

 He gets 1/2 can of dog food and a cup of dry crunch morning and night, so I began to add a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar to the wet food and mixing it in well. 

After a few days, I am amazed that he eats his food with no objections and is walking better than ever.


In addition I ordered some Joint soft chews from Entirely Pets  
“Joint MAX: Chewable Tablets pet joint supplement, containing Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, EPA, DHA, Creatine, Zinc, Manganese, Vitamin C and N-acetyl-cysteine in one tasty, chewable tablet.”


Also I ordered some capsules of Bromelain from Swanson Vitamin Company and I break open a capsule and give him 1/2 twice a day stirred in the wet food.  Bromelain is from pineapple and helps with pain and also digestion.


I believe that the most help is coming from the Natural Apple Cider Vinegar, and if your dog is limping from time to time, Vinegar might be something you would want to add to his food. 


 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that apple cider vinegar has been working for your dog, however i would advise against using the Heinz brand vinegar as that has been processed and filtered. This action removes thre 'mother' a living enzyme resposible for many of the health benefits assosiated with apple cider vinegar.

The key words to lookout for are 'Raw' & 'Unfiltered' - hope this helps and your dog makes a full recovery, great blof btw :)

a joyful noise said...

Thanks for mentioning this, but the brand "Bragg" I have been giving my dog does have the "mother" in it, so perhaps that is the trick.

Floyd said...

My dog Larry isn't in need of it yet, but I've been taking Bragg's ACV for years! It has changed my immune system completely. From being chronically sick to being the person that never gets sick. I just had some about five minutes ago!

Wise Hearted said...

Ok, going to get some of this wonder food for my aching joints. Thanks for the information. It never cease to amaze me how much one can gleam from your blog, you have fed our soul, now it our bodies. YOu are a wise woman.

Sharon said...

I have heard that ACV is good for dogs. I have also heard that it helps with yeasty ears. My son's beagle has trouble with that, as do most breeds with long, floppy ears. So, I'm going to talk to him about trying this.

And I'm gonna try a swig myself! My knees will thank me!

GOD BLESS!