Saturday, November 15, 2014

The Barren Woman


 
Why or Why?
 
Sing, O barren woman, you who never bore a child; burst into song, shout for joy, you who were never in labor. —Isaiah 54:1

Isaiah could say that about one who longed for a special touch, a breakthrough, or vindication, and that's God's word for you. Do not be afraid. You will not suffer shame. Do not fear disgrace. You will not be humiliated.

My friend had an angry look on her face in fact she was hopping mad. 

She vented at me, “I don’t see why those girl friends of mine are having babies and I can’t seem to get pregnant for the life of me. I hate them!”

My friend had been married for several years, and desiring a child was not a secret she kept with in her breast.

As I stared blankly at her, the Lord spoke to me a simple “message” to say to her.

With trepidation I spoke up and said with a calm voice, “You are just going to have to forgive your friends.”

She grabbed her stomach as if I had given her a gut punch.  Then she relaxed. 

“You are right, but I guess I didn’t realize I was harboring such hostility toward them.”

My friend never did get pregnant, but when her marriage failed, she later married a widower who had three young girls. 

His daughters knew he was lonely and they suggested he join a dating service, which he did. 

The way they met was not the method I would suggest, but it worked out great for both of them.

Last time I heard from her, our barren women is now a grandmother.
 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

In life as we look at ourselves, are we unhappy because others are thinner than me, married and I am still single, drive a nicer car, are richer than me?

If we are embracing similar unpleasant thoughts, perhaps we need to do some forgiving of others, and then give thanks for what we do have.

Philippians 4:11  Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

Hebrews_13:5  Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
 
 

2 comments:

caryjo said...

As usual, good sharing. And, one of my favorite portions of the Bible is Is. 54. The Lord has indicated I am a "kid" person in a very large tent. And many of them are from other nations, or other rejected by parents. As usual, you are a heart-grabbing teacher. Bless you.

Sandra @ Sandra's Ark said...

I know how hard it is to see others get pregnant around you while you are longing for the same thing. We spent 5 years waiting for our first child but even though I was sad at times because it wasn't me I would have been even sadder if I had given in to the hard feelings against them. It's at times like that we so need the comforting nature of the Holy Spirit and to let him comfort us. Then we can be thankful as we look back and know we are thankful for the way He led us.