Wednesday, December 30, 2015

The Mind of Christ


I Want to Be Just Like You, Jesus !
 

Our Bible teacher was on her Christmas visit to her family and asked me to teach the Bible Lesson today.  We began by reading several verses from John where many times Jesus said, “I only say what My Father has told Me to say, and I only do what My Father has told Me to do.”  John 12:49,  John 14:10, John 5:19,

Jesus did not speak and act independently of the Father, but was given authority by His Father.

This is the way Jesus expects us to live in relationship with Him: hearing His voice and doing His will.  Acts 22:14-15  (hear the voice of His mouth.)

Jesus expects us to say what He tells us to say and to do what He tells us to do.

John 4:34, My food is to do the will of Him who sent me and to accomplish His Work.

John 6:38  “For I have come down from heaven not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent me.”

Jesus knew God had a plan that included a horrible death for him, but he was willing to accomplish the goal that lay ahead.

John 8:28, Jesus said unto them, When you have lifted up the Son of man, then shall you know that I am He and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father has taught me, I speak these things.

Understanding all this we can conclude that Jesus and the Father were like minded and that Jesus had the mind of God.  This is what He desires of us that we be like minded with Christ. 

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus - -

We can do three things to have the Mind of Christ:

1.  We don’t have to think what ever falls into our mind.  We can choose our thoughts and think things on purpose.  Colossians 3:2 says to “Set” your minds and keep them set on what is above (the higher things.)  For example:  We can decide ahead of time what we will not do and what we will do.  We will not eat four candy bars; maybe one but not four.  We will watch what we drink, and what we look at.  We will not gossip.  When the temptation comes, we have already made a decision not to yield and not to offend the Holy Spirit.

2.  Romans 12:2 “Be not conformed to this world, but be transformed (changed) by the renewing of your mind.”  Every day we will take time to study God’s Word.  I am not saying we will be perfect, but we will progress toward perfection.

3.  Gird up the loins of your mind. (I Peter 1:13)  Basically this means to get the junk out of our thinking and on purpose replace them with Godly thoughts so we are ready to follow God’s plan for our lives.

One practical way to do this is to have a daily “think session.”  Spend time thinking on scriptures that renew your mind with truth.

I remember what Doctor Kenneth E. Hagin used to say.  “You can’t stop the birds from flying over your head, but you can stop them from building a nest in your hair.”

We can experience the fullness of our New Life that we have in Christ.  All it takes is a little more progress one day at a time.

Philippians 4:7-8 (NKJV)  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy - - think on these things.
 
 

1 comment:

caryjo said...

AND, among everything else that was shown, I rejoiced at the bird issue. I've often said that when I'm on the way to Heaven I want piles of birds to be going up with me about the clouds and then the angels can take me higher. But I love seeing birds and thinking of them and how they are born and how they are raised. Anyway, this grabbed my attention. You shared MUCH as usual. Thank you MUCH!! [I'm winking at you, BTW!]