Sunday, November 6, 2016

LEARN TO BE CONTENT



 

Pastor Rodney was ministering this morning and his edited sermon is presented here.

Thanksgiving is coming and it is good to count our blessings and to be thankful.

Philippians 4:11-13 - - or I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.  I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.  I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.

Notice that Paul is depending on Christ to strengthen him in all situations even when things are not going so good.

We can learn the secret of being content by observing Paul.  He took life as it came, and made adjustments if necessary.  He was happy with little and happy with much.  The secret was to decide to be content with what you have.

Sometimes we are terrified about our situation.  Know that God is our help and we can endure all things for he promises to strengthen us.

You may begin a list.  How about when I am sick?  What about if I am hungry?  Consider those who are in Prison?  Come to think about it, Paul was in prison yet he rejoiced and made a decision to be content.

Circumstances in life can be both good and bad, but we can rejoice in God our Savior.  Allow God to supply your needs.  Face it my friends, there are many in this world that have “nothing.”  Absolutely zero, nothing.  We can learn to be content with what we have.

Be thankful for others in the body of believers.  Be thankful for family and friends.

We come to church to sense the presence of God, to praise him, to find peace and grace and mercy.  Those who worship with intent will receive the most.  The blessings will come down and then we reach out to bless others.  Know that God loves and cares for us. 

Don’t be like the person who tells his friend, “We had the greatest Bible Study.”  The friend asked “Oh yea, what was it about? You reply, “I don’t remember but it was good.” Learn to retain and think about what you have heard.  Perhaps take some notes and review the message.

This week someone stole my back pack from me.  In it were many of my sermon notes that are important to me.  I could have gotten very angry, but I decided to let God deal with the person, because he is the avenger.

No matter what today looks like, rejoice and be glad and happy with what you have.  Keep your heart right and your relationship with God current.  Rejoice and be glad.

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yep. That back pack has a Higher calling! Excellent perspective, Hazel. Love that attitude.

You hit on a couple of words that really hit me; "to decide". The process of our free will is one of the most amazing gifts we have in this life. Indeed it is the essential one for everybody in that everyone makes a choice about where they spend eternity.

That same free will that allows you to not be angry when someone has stolen from you. Good one, sister.

caryjo said...

Thank you for sharing the Word of Philippians. I sure loved the picture and it's Word re: Timothy. These made me smile and rejoice!