Friday, March 24, 2017

ALL THESE THINGS

This post was my teaching as we came to pray over our city.

 



Peter, Thomas, Nathanael of Cana in Galilee, and the sons of Zebedee, and two other of his disciples had fished all night and caught nothing; and Jesus was standing on the shore, called to them, “How’s the fishing going?”  They said, “Not so good.” 

John 21:6 And Jesus said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and you shall find (what you need.) They cast therefore, (changed their method) and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes. 

How do you imagine that Peter felt after toiling all night and catching zero?  Now his net was so full they could hardly get it to shore.

Was he happy?  Was he thrilled?  Was he excited?  Peter enjoyed what he was doing and he “loved to fish.” 

Jesus had a fire going and prepared a meal for the tired men.

John 21:15  So when they had dined, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of Jonas, do you love me more than THESE?”

What did Jesus mean “THESE?”  Do you love me more than these? 

Another time, Jesus was calling disciples to follow Him.  One man said, “Let me go and bury my father first.” So he could not follow.  Another said, I must plow my ground first – then I will follow (later.)  Another said, I have great possessions and I must manage my business, so I can’t follow.

I suppose the reasons were valid, and caring for your family and your self is important, but in each case, Jesus was testing to see it they loved Jesus or if they loved “THESE things,” more than they loved him. 

So many citizens of our city are loving “THESE things;” more than they love Jesus.  What is “THESE” to them?  These things can be anything that is put FIRST instead of allowing Jesus to be number ONE.  These things are different to each person.  We will be praying that their desire for Jesus increase and that they will be willing to drop those things that bind and keep them chained.

 

To some it will be “selfish desires, including greed.”  To others it will be habits that prevent them from a full surrender - - or addictions so personal and so loved that they are held tightly instead of embracing Jesus.  Is it ONE thing or many things that are loved more than Christ Jesus?  Jesus called it “These” which must mean a LOT of things. 

Jesus continued speaking to Peter asking “do you love me?”  Peter was a rough fisherman, not used to displaying his emotions and probably did not like to say the word LOVE.  So Peter replied, “You know I like you.” (The way we love ice cream and cake.)   

Jesus asked him again making his request stronger – Do you love me?  Peter said, “You know I love you like a friend. (affection almost love.)   

The Third time Jesus asked Peter:  “Do you ADORE me enough to worship me and lay down your life for me?”  Peter had to think for awhile, because this was serious business and Jesus wanted a straight answer.   

Today Jesus wants a straight answer from each of us.  Can we lay those trappings aside, those things that still bind us ?? - - To lay them down once and for ever - -  All  THESE things AND lest we miss one, ask God to reveal anything we forgot to surrender?? 

Search my heart Oh Lord and reveal to me what I am having trouble seeing.

1 comment:

BettieG said...

I'm so glad I stopped by here today! I just finished listening to a sermon about Mary, and her choice of the BETTER: to be at Jesus' feet. And your words are another confirmation of that, "Can we lay those trappings aside, those things that still bind us?" all for the sake of loving Him first of all. He is so good to us, Oh may my heart respond to His call. --Blessings to you!